Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Thank You for Arguing {a review}


I love a good debate. The kind where both parties are rational, thoughtful and not resorting to hate or personal digs that are irrelevant to the subject. I chose Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinrichs because of the clever title. In some ways the title is a little misleading. Are we arguing or persuading? If you're just trying to convince people to vote for you for class president, it's not really arguing. The book is teaching people how to be persuasive and use things in conversation to your advantage. I thought the book was interesting but it was also a book I had no problem putting down easily. I found the little text boxes on each page incredibly annoying and distracting from the main body of text. It is mentioned that the book is used for AP English classes in high school. The revised edition seems to have included pop culture references and recent political issues just for that purpose. I think if you are interested in the art of rhetoric, work in a field where it would be useful or just enjoy debating and/or getting what you want, then you would enjoy this book.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment